Happy New Year!
I want to begin this new year with you by sharing some goals for my writing practice. I love beginnings, so I started planning these new goals since last fall (I admit it: I'm a planner nerd). If 2017 was a good year, then 2018 is intended to be a great one :-)
How I Plan to Rock My Writing Life This Year
5 Easy Steps to Set Goals
But, before I list out my writing goals, I first want to describe my simple 5-step process for setting goals, just in case you need a little help in determining your own goals and resolutions. I have found this particular process to be effective for me, so I hope that it will be useful for you as well.
The five steps are as follows:
- Do a brain dump of every goal or idea that you can think of.
- Select the most important and/or the most exciting goal to you now (no more than five).
- Break down each goal into actionable tasks.
- Set a deadline for each task.
- Schedule each task in your calendar or planner.
My 2018 Writing Goals
Goal #1: revise The Forgotten Fathers Club (DUE: Jan - June 2018)
Goal #2: maintain my author platform (DUE: all year)
Goal #3: hire an editor and polish The Forgotten Fathers Club (DUE: July - Dec 2018)
Goal #4: research and compile list of literary agents (DUE: July - Dec 2018)
Goal #5: research: how to submit query letters (DUE: Dec 2018)